I've grown tired of Cinemalaya

Cinemalaya was introduced to me during it's sixth year and the sense of this festival was still a blur to me. I quite comprehended that this event was organized to advocate for Independent films. But you see my perspective of Independent cinema was raw that time. I used to see Indies as boring, and mature films. My expectations did not fail me. Then again, it's not only my expectations that plays around my head. I also have some knowledge on how to read a film, thanks to our subjects and Professors, Film Appreciation (Jonathan Rondina) and Writing for Mass Media (Dennis Marasigan) respectively. Cinemalaya starts by July which means the semester has just begun, and my respective Professors still have yet to teach us more about Film, and Writing. So you can understand why my reaction was that broad (see the video below).


for more Cinemalaya 2010 V-Logs log on to http://twittee.wordpress.com/

So yeah, I gave Indie a try, on the following year, Cinemalaya 2011, I came from a very different approach unlike the first time. Shortly after the 6th Cinemalaya film festival, actually, month of Feb. 2011, I joined the 1st Halo Halo festival, where in we participants must submit a 7mins. short film of any topic to be exhibited on the day of the event. So, fortunately mine got in, its really amateur, nothing to brag about, but at least I did it.
Peronally, I like the trailer more, but here goes my first amateur short film. Bare with me on this, the production itself was a one man/woman show.


Moving on, I was motivated to watch all the entries and know the Directors of this 'art films'. Yes, you read right! I said "ART" films... Now my perspective is more informed. Since I was teased to submit a short film script by our professor to Cinemalaya, I've been bothered by it yet again until recently when I saw my professor again at Cinamalaya. Straight to the point, he told me "ipasa mo na yung script mo, gawin na natin yan..." and I thought he forgot about it, I mean, I forgot about it. I've asked a few of my friends on this, if I should, and they affirmed. What's wrong if I submit it? right? I guess I never got contented with the thought that "I should submit it..." and hope for it to pass etc. Maybe the reason why I keep coming back to Cinemalaya, is to continue to discover what it is, and what it serves for. Especially the subject of Indie films. I've started talking to various Directors in last year's 7th Cinemalaya, and because of that, I learn little by little, not to mention being given tons of perks whether introduced to actors/actresses, or invited to movie premieres, slowly I learn things far beyond what the four walls of education can give. So for me, Cinemalaya has contributed a lot for communication students/film enthusiasts like me and eight years still are not enough to define what it is about, because it continues to change each year, developing, transforming, for something more far than it has gotten.

Eventually, I've grown tired of Cinemalaya, don't take it the wrong way though, tired in a physical way. I've been running around to there and there, continuing my personal research on films, continuing to develop bonds with the Directors, learning from every film, acknowledging them film makers, trying to develop a kin sense, critical viewing of these films. Everyday feels like "wow" to men that's why sometimes I feel like I want to explode especially whenever I get home 12 midnight because of 9pm film which got delayed for some reason, isn't that tiring?!
I still go by the saying of "Slowly but surely, whatever goal you want to achieve, and no matter how rough the road you travel may be, you'll eventually get there..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © / Media|Sanity

/ powered by :blogger